LipiFlow is the first FDA-approved medical device designed specifically to treat the root cause of meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD). It addresses evaporative dry eye by unblocking the meibomian glands that secrete oily lipids.
1. LipiFlow addresses the root of the problem. MGD is the most common underlying cause of dry eye. LipiFlow is designed to unblock the meibomian glands that secrete the oily lipids needed to produce quality tears.
2. LipiFlow improves the natural balance of your tears. Healthy tears are made up of three unique, precisely balanced layers:
Mucin Layer – adheres tears to the eyes
Aqueous Layer – nourishes and protects the cornea
Lipid Layer – lubricates and prevents evaporation
If one of these layers is off, your tears will be out of balance and not work as they should. The purpose of tears is to protect, lubricate, comfort and wash your eyes. If all parts of the tear aren’t working together, the result is an imbalanced tear film and dry eyes.
3. LipiFlow versus eye drops. Eye drops are often wasted. Think about it. When you put in eye drops, you might notice that most of the contents run down your cheek – even if your aim was spot on. This means your eye is only receiving half (or less!) of the drops contained in the bottle. A waste of medicine and money!
4. LipiFlow is all natural. Remember, the goal of LipiFlow is to address the root of your dry eye symptoms, not just treat the symptoms. Restoring function back to your glands can restore the natural balance and proper biological makeup of your tears so they can function as they should. As opposed to drops, which contain chemicals to clear blockage and lubricate, LipiFlow employs gentled heated pulsations to unblock and clear the meibomian glands, so your eyes can produce more of their own perfectly balanced tears.
5. LipiFlow is a longterm solution for Dry Eye. Presently, there is no permanent cure for dry eye or MGD. However, LipiFlow is a viable, long-term solution. Several clinical studies (31 peer-reviewed articles) demonstrate LipiFlow’s safety and effectiveness.
Treating MGD with LipiFlow
The LipiFlow treatment is performed in-office and completed in a single office visit.
The LipiFlow is specially designed to remove blockages and restore the functionality of the Meibomian glands, allowing for the regular production of the oils that make up the protective lipid layer of the eye’s tear film.
LipiFlow works by safely and comfortably delivering a combination of heat and therapeutic motion to the eyelids to effectively express blockages and open the passages found in the Meibomian glands. Once the glands are free of blockages, they can resume producing and delivering the essential oil needed for healthy tear film and ocular comfort.
The LipiFlow device utilizes single-use activators that are attached to the eyelids during the 12-minute treatment session. They are designed to prevent any transfer of heat or pressure onto the eyeball itself and are contoured to prevent contact with the cornea, protecting the structure of the eye.
Normal gland functionality usually returns 6-8 weeks after treatment.
The diagnosis and treatment of dry eyes are complex and requires patience and persistence on the part of both the doctor and the patient. With careful diagnosis and a systematic therapeutic approach, many sufferers of dry eye syndrome can experience considerable improvement.